Saturday, May 21, 2005

Thursday at the Chungnam Festival

Thursday was a great day. The weather could not have been better for a relaxing afternoon drunk. Given that it was the last day of the festival, the students for my 2:00 pm class failed to materialize. Taking advantage of this, I decided to wander outside and watch the Golden Bel contest for a little while. In this contest, an idea taken from a very popular TV quiz show, students need to answer English language trivia questions in order to win prizes. This year I think the grand prize was a new computer. I took a few photos, and since I didn't have to participate in the contest this year I retired to one of the conveniently located beer tents.

I chose this particuler tent specifically to drive my fellow teachers, Greg and Ian, crazy. You see, they were stuck up on the sweltering stage asking the questions to the students. In true malicious fashion, I spent the next hour or so sitting in the shade where they could see me and sending them text messages extolling the virtues of cold beer on a beautiful afternoon.

Pretty soon, some of my former students showed up, and the drinking began in earnest. I spent the rest of the day, chatting with my students, wandering around the festival and generally having a very good time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home