Thursday, January 26, 2006

All students should be so thoughtful.

It's the Lunar New Year this weekend. This is a huge holiday here in Korea, and often students will buy gifts for the teachers. Most of the time it's a small gift, maybe a card or some bakery treat. When I worked at my hakwon, the gifts were usually socks or handkerchiefs. Today, my class (the ones in the pictures below) bought me a gift that really surprised me, not only with it's contents, but with the thought behind it.

Since we have Friday off, today was the last day of classes before the holiday. I was all prepared to be "Lazy Teacher" and show the class a couple episodes of "Friends" simply because I didn't really feel like doing much today. However, a number of the students came in carrying a couple of boxes and said they wanted to have a party. I had no problem with that. it suited my feelings about teaching just fine. The students had brought a bunch of snack food and drinks (typical in class party fare). They had also brought a mock "Harry Potter" wizard trunk which they gave me along with cards from everyone. I was a little hesitant at first to open the box. I really didn't know what to expect. Much to my surprise, amusement, and great pleasure, inside the box were a DOZEN ASSORTED BEERS AND A CARTON OF SMOKES! I haven't ever received a more perfect gift from my students. It was simply great.

To the guys and girls of the level 5 IT class: CHEERS!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric teacher Jjang!~

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHA, Smart gift from smart students.

Jamey

5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home