Saturday, May 06, 2006

Things Goin' On (Groupies Go To Jeju)


It's a rainy Saturday afternoon, and perfect day to putter around the house doin' nothing more strenuous than picking up a book or playing around on the computer (hell, I might even get around to taking a shower). I was going to go to Seoul for the day but decided that staying here is just the thing.

This past week was both rough and wonderful. The rough part came on Monday following a weekend ultimate tourney in Jeju-do. Three days of ultimate and heavy drinkin' plus getting back to Daejeon sometime around 1:30 in the morning and having to teach at 7:00 am, conspired to make Monday down right hellish. However, the knowledge that it was going to be a short week because of Friday being Children's Day helped ease the blow.

The trip to Jeju was a blast. Good people, good fun, and some great disc made for a splendid time (To those of you who helped organize the tourney, thank you for the great time). Everyone arrived in Jeju on Friday night, and the party commenced. Friday night ended with Kiwi Glenn and I staggering into a kalbi house and chowing down on dweji-kalbi and, God knows why, drinking quite a bit of apple soju.

Although I could only play a couple of games due to bad knees (I went to the doctor after I got back sure that something was really wrong. Y'know what the guy says? There's no problem with your knees, you're just getting old! Sheesh. Thanks a lot!), I did my part in cheering the team on and keeping the wheels greased. There was a lot of great disc played in spite of the 40 mph winds which made throwing the disc damn near impossible. The Shanghai team impressed nearly everyone with their ability to score upwind points. No easy feat by any means. I have to say that the Groupies had the best post-match games. The sodapop baseball was a scream.

The party on Saturday night was amazing. The night's highlight was the bus driver getting too drunk to drive people back to the hotel. There was also drunken Jenga, a killer Flippy-cups competition, (we'll get you next time Craig!!!) and naked Twister, which, considering Terry won, I'm not too upset I missed.

Sunday's games were easy considering all I had to do was yell my fool head off and hoist beers. There was also some great disc. Cheers to Jeju for winning the Spirit award (you guys were great) and to Shanghai for winning the whole enchilada.

I hope to see y'all in Daejeon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home