Thursday, March 01, 2007

And so it goes...

It's Thursday, March 1. Sigh. Today is the last day of relative freedom before the beginning of the spring semester. For reasons beyond my understanding, classes start tomorrow, Friday, rather than on Monday. The reason this really makes no sense is that, in reality, no one is going to show up for class. You see, the spring semester is when we get the greatest influx of brand new freshmen. This is generally a group of bug-eyed kids so out of their element that they usually can't find their ass with both hands the first couple of weeks (let alone the correct classroom to be in). I invariably have one or two students who, in week three of the semester, finally realise they've been in the wrong classroom the whole time.

I will have to say that a part of me is looking forward to the semester beginning. It's been a pretty boring couple of weeks since the winter session ended. At least I'll have something to focus on. I think the worst vacations are the ones where you don't go anywhere (one of my co-workers got so bored that, in the middle of the afternoon a week ago, he simply went to the airport and got on a plane to Thailand). Today is not going to be much different in the boredom department. If i actually get motivated enough to take a shower, I might get out of the house for a bit. It looks like a nice day.

Speaking of the weather. I'm frightened. Spring here started two weeks ago smack in the middle of February. This is not good. Why, you ask? Am I worried about global warming? Hell, no! I'm worried about summer starting in April and lasting until November. I HATE summer. Most of you understand heat and humidiity (even you Canucks out there) and a couple months of it is bearable to an extent. However, this year seems to be gearing up to be a doozy. It reminds me of my first full year in Korea. Summer started around mid-April and never ended. I thought I was going to die (and this is after living in Key West, FL, the heat & humidity capitol, for three years). An extended summer is also not good for both my students and co-workers. I tend to get pretty cranky when I'm overly hot.

Well, given the rambling incoherence of this post, I best quit while I'm ahead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home