Saturday, December 17, 2005

What the FUCK?!?

Hypothetical: You and your friend go out drinking. You get to the point where your friend is so shitfaced he/she has to go home. You leave the bar, only to find that it's snowing and things are slippery. Suddenly, your friend slips and does a headplant on the road. He/she loses consciousness and is bleeding profusely from his/her head.

What do you do?

Tonight: I went out to Santa's tonight with the express purpose of getting drunk. I figured I'd be out late, but, while I did get a good buzz on, I found that I just wasn't into the scene that was going on there. I paid my tab and walked out deciding that some food might be a good option.

I walked down the street to my favorite dakgochi stand (this place has chicken on a stick that is sooo spicy your head would explode). As I'm heading for the tent, I noticed two girls. One was laying on the street, the other telling her to get up. This is not such an unuasual thing in Kung-dong. It's quite common to see Koreans yelling at their drunk ass friends, who are so smashed they can't stand, and then picking them up and carrying them off. So, intially I didn't think anything of it.

I got my food and headed back towards the cab stand, so I could go home. I came across the girl and her friend in the same place; only now there was a guy holding the girl who was on the ground, but not picking her up. It's at this point that I noticed the puddles of blood on the ground. The unconcious girl's friend was standing there doing fuck all. The guy was holding the unconscious girl and getting bloody but not doing anything. I walked around to take a better look at the girl laying on the ground (take into account that this is about 10-15 minutes after I passed them the first time). I looked at them both, probably in shock, and said, "This girl needs a hospital!" THAT was when the girl's friend called for an ambulance.

The girl's friend was pretty hysterical, so I figured I'll run down to the local police station and get some help. It's a 5 minute walk. I got to the police station, and there were two cops just pulling out of the station. I knocked on the window of their car and, in broken Korean and English, tried to explain that there is a hurt girl on the street. The cops smiled and said, "Arrayo, arrayo", which means we know. I thought to myself, "Cool. They're going to go help." The cops pulled out of the station parking lot and drove off in the opposite fucking direction!

I headed back down the street and found that an ambulance was coming and people had moved the girl off the road (thinking that moving her was not such a great idea). The ambulance got there and the friends loaded the girl into the vehical (I've been in a Korean ambulance with a hurt friend, and it's down right scary, but that's a story for another time).

I've seen some pretty fucked up shit in my life; things both stupid and tragic. This was one of those things that a little fucking common sense would have made things much better. Maybe this kind of thing happens everywhere. People in a crisis not reacting to the situation. I only hope the poor girl is OK.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the couch bro. also for taking care of me when I was in such need.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home