Friday, March 03, 2006

I guess I'll have to hear it first.

I'm having a little trouble getting my head around this one. Having been a HUGE Queen fan for about as long as I can remember as well as a big fan of Bad Company, it's difficult imagining what a combination of the two would actually sound like.

I mean, really. How do you possibly replace Freddie Mercury as a front man? I have to admit that Paul Rodgers certainly has more rock credibility than the two other possible contenders mentioned (George Michael - aaaack! and Robbie Williams). However, the only thing Mercury and Rodgers have in common as singers is the fact that they both have distinctive, immediately recognizable singing styles and voices. I can see Rodgers doing a fine job on anthemic tunes like We Will Rock You or We Are The Champions, but...umm...well...I just can't picture Killer Queen sung with a gravelly, blues baritone. Given that the band is going to play a combination of Queen, Bad Company, and Free songs on tour, I imagine the boys have given this particular problem some thought.

Like I said, I guess I'll have to hear it first. I have an open mind. :-D

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't look for Rodgers to sing the more campy, upbeat numbers. I saw them when they came to NYC last November. The show rocked, and the vocals were amazing, but it's a totally different experience than listening to Freddie. But believe me, you won't be disappointed!

2:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy the CD. It works. Very nicely. I had the same hesitations, but as a fan of both had to see how it would sound. Now I just wish I had a ticket to next week's MCI Center show. Just got the DVD as a small consolation.

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home