Wednesday, April 09, 2008

I guess quitting smoking might be a relative thing

My statement to the public must be re-phrased.

I quit smoking AT HOME.

This is a good thing. Really.

I smoked more sitting in front of the computer wasting my days away than I did at any other time. I chain smoked like a motherfucker (sorry mom for the language, but I'm drunk and well...). I would say 70% of the two packs I smoked a day were smoked in my house.

I can't say I quit smoking. I have to be honest about it. I keep a pack of smokes at school for those frustrating, my-students-are-idiots days. I keep a pack at Santa's because, face it, I ain't gonna drink and not smoke.

Tonight, I probably smoked a pack at Santa's (I have the day off tomorrow). I didn't, and won't bring smokes home. Surprisingly enough, I'm not bothered by not smoking at home. I don't miss it. My apartment certainly smells better.

Will I quit smoking all together? Honestly don't know. I could probably cut out the smokes I have at school. However, drinking and smoking go too well together. Again, Mom, I'm sorry, but I ain't quitting drinkin'!

And now to the song of the day. This is a definite "desert island" song:

ALTHEA
Grateful Dead

I told Althea I was feeling lost, lacking in some direction.
Althea told me upon scrutiny that my back might need protection.
I told Althea that treachery was tearing me limb from limb.
Althea told me better cool down boy, settle back, easy Jim.

You may be Saturday's child, all alone, moving with a tinge of grace.
You may be a clown in the burying ground, or just another pretty face.
You may meet the fate of Ophelia, sleeping and perchance to dream.
Honest to the point of recklessness, self-centered in the extreme.

Ain't nobody messing with you, but you, your friends are getting most concerned.
Loose with the truth, baby, its your fire, but baby don't get burned.
When the smoke has cleared, she said, that's what she said to me.
Gonna want a bed to lay your head and a little sympathy.

There are things you can replace, and others you cannot.
The time has come to weigh those things.
This space is getting hot, you know this space is getting hot.

I told Althea I'm a roving son, and I was born to be a bachelor.
Althea told me, okay, that's fine, so now I'm trying to catch her.
Can't talk to you without talking to me, we're guilty of the same old thing.
Been thinking alot about less and less and forgetting the love we bring.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, what you need to do is go someplace, like NY state, that doesn't allow drinking in bars...so you can still give your liver a go while giving your lungs a rest...feel free to visit us!

-daryl

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, what you need to do is go someplace, like NY state, that doesn't allow drinking in bars...so you can still give your liver a go while giving your lungs a rest...feel free to visit us!

-daryl

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NY doesn't allow DRINKING in bars????

Why in God's name would I go there???

Eric

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know what i mean! no "smoking" in bars...sorry for the scare!

hope you are doing well...I'll miss not being in Daejeon this summer (I've got some serious medical issues I have to take care of this summer)...if you hold up there a couple of more years though (although reading some of your blogs gives me the impression that you might be on to other locales) I should be able to go back and avoid Jaeger shots from you!

Give Ed, Guapo/Turbo, Mr. Ho, and the rest my best...and take care of yourself!

-daryl

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would have included Ian (and still would) but I thought an earlier blog mentioned that he might not be at CNU anymore...

-d

10:29 PM  
Blogger Kim @ Socius: Daejeon Central said...

Hey Yo- Good luck with all that quitting. Hopefully that'll help with the annual spring bronchial infection that you get stuck with- at least once your lungs start healing a bit.

Did I ever tell you my friends named their cat Althea? Probably not.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home