Sunday, May 14, 2006

There's really no better way to spend an evening.


A bunch of us went to Hanbat Stadium last night to watch the Hanwha Eagles (Deajeon's home team) take on the Lotte Giants (from Busan, I think). The stadium was as full as I've ever seen it, and the hometown crowd was at its boisterous best. It was a little colder than anyone expected - it is May after all - but it was a good night for some baseball.

I'm a huge baseball fan, and there's not much I like better than walking through the tunnel of a stadium and seeing the green of the grass, and hearing the noise of the crowd and the crack of the bat. All these sights and sounds have an aesthetic quality that I find invigorating and soothing at the same time.

A few years ago Jamey and I spent a lot of time at the ballpark here in Daejeon as well as taking the occasional roadtrip to watch the Eagles play in other cities. Going to the game last night made me wonder why I had stopped going to games. Part of it is that Jamey's gone back to Canada (this picture is to make you jealous bro. :-D), the other part has to do with lack of time or initiative. However, after last night, I think I'll be spending a lot more time this year at the ballpark.

There is also the added appeal that Hanwha is fielding a good team this year and seem poised to make a bid at the finals. Last night the Eagles won 7-3 with Jay Davis, their long time center fielder going 2-3 with to doubles, a strike out, and 4 RBIs. Also, for the first time in a while, Hanwha's pitching staff seems to be holding its own. We could be in for a fun season.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey good buddy. I remember those days fondly. We'll have to take in a game when i visit next year. I also remember walking in before the game and hearing the loud pop of the catchers mitt. We drank a few beers out there in the bleachers eh. If you see Davis tell him i said hi.

Jamey

2:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home